Payroll tax is a self-assessed, general purpose state and territory tax assessed on wages paid or payable by an employer to its employees, when the total wage bill of an employer (or group of employers) exceeds a threshold amount.
The payroll tax rates and yearly thresholds vary between states and territories.
|State/ Territory||Threshold $||Rate %|
*Rates and thresholds 2016-17
Wages are any remuneration paid or payable by an employer to an employee for services provided and can include, but not limited to allowances, superannuation, bonuses & commissions, fringe benefits. Some wages are exempt based on the circumstances in which they are paid. This includes wages paid to employees on maternity, paternity or adoption leave or on military leave.
Please refer to each state or territories website for further detail.
- VIC – Payroll tax information here >
- SA – Payroll tax information here >
- TAS – Payroll tax information here >
- WA – Payroll tax information here >
- NT – Payroll tax information here >
- ACT – Payroll tax information here >